Alcohol and Drugs

Alcohol (beer, wine, liquor, etc.) is part of life for many people in Montreal, including many university students. It is part our social lives, and there is nothing wrong with that. Many people enjoy alcohol, but usually they use it responsibly – they don’t drink too much and they don’t let alcohol affect their daily life.

For some people it is normal to drink wine with supper every evening, and for others it is normal to have a few beers with your friends on the weekend. However, some people drink much more often. If people are drinking alcohol every day and as a result they find it difficult to get up in the morning or to do their jobs or go to school, maybe they have an alcohol problem.

A problem with alcohol can mean a lot of trouble for a student. It is difficult to pass your course if you drink too much. Your relationships and friendships with other people can be affected badly by your drinking. Drinking a lot can affect your health, too. Also you can spend a lot of money – alcohol is very expensive in Canada compared to other countries.

Many students try illegal drugs, too, but they can also make it difficult to study as well. Don’t forget that all drugs (including alcohol) are risky for your health, and all of them can cause a dependency (addiction). Additionally, illegal drugs can get you in trouble with the police.

If you think you have a problem with drinking too much alcohol or using too many drugs, or if you have a friend who you think has a problem, you can help and information about what to do at Concordia Health Services or Counselling & Development. All their services are confidential (secret) so you don’t have to worry that your friends, family or anyone will know that you asked for help.

If you have questions about getting help for drug and alcohol problems, you can call a special telephone number, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 514-527-2626. It is free, anonymous (they don’t ask your name) and confidential (your privacy is respected). They can answer your questions about what to do, who to call, and where to go. They can also refer to services that can speak to you in your first language.

Pamphlets from Concordia Health Services: Alcohol    Drugs

%d bloggers like this: